Featured Post

After the Storm

On February 17, 2017, my life and the life of those she loved changed forever.  My wife had been battling clinical depression and lost that ...

Friday, February 24, 2017

F%@k*ng Sh@t#y Things!!! (Rated R)

I would warn anyone who doesn't like foul language or graphic descriptions that may invoke your imagination of Elaine's last state to maybe skip this entry.  I'll put some space in between this paragraph so you know to not scroll down if bad language and graphic descriptions are not for you.  Just know that I am going through many emotions right now and this singular post isn't indicative of how I am feeling in whole, but is a piece of the many emotions I am feeling.  I will probably do another post today, because there are other things I want to share that don't go along with the tone of this one.  With that being said, please scroll down if you would like to continue.





































Fucking shitty things!  This morning, something triggered me (I believe I have PTSD now) and I went into a state where I wasn't responding to my family as they were asking if I was ok.  I snapped out of it when my mom said they better call 911. I went to my laptop to look up PTSD for suicide survivors and came across a blog that talked about how PTSD is particularly prevalent for those that were witness to or discovered the body-I had discovered her.

Fucking shitty things!  I think I needed to share the graphic details of Elaine and exactly what I experienced when I discovered her body and what I went through up until the authorities arrived.  It was the first time I had shared it with anyone and my Mom, Dad, and sister broke down crying when I gave them the details.  My sister had asked me if it felt good to be able to finally share it and I told her that it did.  My sister yelled out "This is a fucking shitty thing."  We were all crying out to God that this is a fucking shitty thing!  Why did Elaine have to die the way she did, she must have been feeling so much physical pain and there was so much blood and a complete distortion of the Elaine I knew as I saw her in her final moments.

Why do fucking shitty things happen to good people and amazing and incredible things happen to complete asshats?  

My whole family is struggling with the nature of her death.  Why couldn't it have been something else?  Why couldn't she have passed peacefully?  I feel like we had a collective grieving moment as a family much like we have been having some fun moments here and there with each other.

Although I am coming to peace with her actual death, I am still struggling with God's will and why this all happened in the way it did.  There was no hospice period for Elaine, no time to make things comfortable for her before her passing, no treatment or comfort for her in her last days.  This is what is painful for me especially-no husband wants their wife to experience that pain.  And just imagining it takes me down a very dark place-a place where I can question God's goodness and mercy.  However, David in the psalms shared similar sentiments and frustrations.

"1Save me, O God, 
for the waters have come up to my neck. 
2I sink in the miry depths
where there is no foothold. 
I have come into the deep waters
the floods engulf me
3I am worn out calling for help; 
my throat is parched
My eyes fail
looking for my God. 


Psalms 69:1-3

This struggle is not new in the history of humanity, but have come about through different circumstances as the centuries pass.  I feel like in our time specifically, mental illness is bringing us to a place of struggle similar to feelings David may have been feeling.  

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" Romans 8:28

Trying to really understand this scripture from Romans...


2 comments:

  1. Paul,

    I lost my grandfather to suicide recently. It'll be a year since his passing this April. He was the most important person in my life and the person I loved the most. And of course, I still love him so much.

    I can try and relate how my loss is similar to yours, how I empathize with you. I can understand how your world is so utterly shaken and distraught. I'm very sorry for your loss, and I wish you and your family peace during this difficult time.

    I hope this can be of some solace to you: I think of my grandfather often, but it's always of how much I love him, how much he loved me, and all of the good and happy memories. I don't dwell on anything else. I just let love fill my heart.

    I hope you too can soon feel this way, clouded by no darkness. Just love and light.

    My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,
    My name is Sharon and i was one of Elaine's high school friends, along with joy and praise. i haven't seen Elaine in a while, but i did converse with her via fb when talking about her beautiful hair and amazing talents. So when Joy contacted me about Elaine... i was in complete shock. Bc the girl i remember is a spunky one, who LOVED to dance, sing, try new things with makeup, write fantasy stories where all of us had to finish a portion of it (included joy, diana, praise).....
    And to be honest, i really appreciated this entry bc sometimes "fucking shitty things" happen in life and we have every right to be angry as hell. Bc the enemy comes to steal, when God intended to provide us with comfort/peace/love.
    Don't think any words out of my mouth will provide much condolence, so i just wanted to let you know that i've been praying for you, your family and elaine's family everyday since i heard. And i will continue to pray for you guys......

    ReplyDelete