Featured Post

After the Storm

On February 17, 2017, my life and the life of those she loved changed forever.  My wife had been battling clinical depression and lost that ...

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Is there anything you Need?

I am very drained so this post may be a bit shorter than others.  I do have a lot to share however, so I will be able to share about those other topics over the next few days.

Today's memorial was a beautiful tribute to who Elaine was and what legacy she left behind.  I heard so many stories from the tribute speakers that I did not even know about.  Elaine touched many lives in tremendous ways.  Stories of her compassion and empathy.  Stories of her putting love into action for those who needed it most.  I was overwhelmed with the love of my community when I found out that close to 400 people were there to pay their respects (we had estimated 150).  It just speaks to the fact that Elaine touched so many different lives in so many different circles.


The question I keep getting from people who send their condolences is "Do you need anything?" And oftentimes I don't really know what I need at that moment.  Sometimes I remember that there is something I need such as someone to come by and clean up a bit or to pick up something from the apartment or pick up food or just come over to hang out with me.  

But I realized another more vital need.  

I need you to be transformed from this tragedy.  

And many of you already have been.  I need you to see the beauty that was Elaine's life.  Just as her business partner so eloquently put in her tribute, I need you to continue Elaine's legacy by loving people.  Love those around you.  Love those that are close to you.  Love those that are even hard to love.  Love those that may not love you in return.  Love those that are passed over.  Love those that no one else will love.  This is the legacy of Elaine, this is what she lived out in her life.  She embodied sacrificial love up until the very end.

43You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Matthew 5:43,44

Here is a quote that I have always liked, and now more then ever has a new powerful meaning in my life.

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.” 

(Quote adapted from Palto or Philo)


No comments:

Post a Comment